Monday, August 30, 2010

As August comes to a close.

As August comes to a close, one reflects back this summer. This has been my first summer since I was 12, that I was not working. After being wrongfully fired from my job last September. No employment was to be found. I started receiving my disability this past April. I have severe Arthritis in  most of my joints.

This is my sixth summer in Arkansas, the heat this this summer has indeed been intense. I put the Chicago skyline in my rear view mirror six years ago. While the summer has been blistering hot, I will endure the summers here, to have mild winters. I have kept busy most days, that is my nature. I am not  one to sit idly.
As summer comes to its last hurrah birds are ready themselves for their big flight south.

In the cool of the morning I like sitting on my balcony. I am entrained by the Hummingbirds that frequent our feeder. They play a game I call hummer tag. One Hummer goes to the feeder, than another comes and nips on him on the butt. Then chase each other through both sides of the balcony. Sometimes one will misjudge where the eve is, then you here thump. I think wow major headache coming. I marvel at Hummingbirds, there diminutive size and aggressive they play. I wonder how this bird that weighs less than a dime, flies across the Gulf to Costa Rica , non stop. God is their copilot.

I refuse to use the word retired. I prefer to use  "out to pasture". It is the first time in a long time that I have slowed down. Last summer I pushed the envelope too far. As that summer ended I  was both physically and mentally exhaust. That after giving so very much to a job, they showed their appreciate by firing me. As I at their listen to the lies my old self temper rose. God, muted me and silenced me. In the months that followed have been a struggle, very soul searching.

Jobs for a male over fifty are non-existent. I accepted that early on, I keep applying anyhow. For the first  time in my life turned the control over to God. In the past I run from God, instead of running into his arms.
God, has been faithful to myself and wife through this time. During this time you begin to understand what a need is verus  a want. That you life is not defined by a job or the amount in your bank account. It depends about how you are storing your ture riches with God. God, is the focus of my life, my journey and it's odd turns.

No comments:

Post a Comment