Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Winter

It is mid January, most of states are buried in snow. Here in Arkansas we have no snow. Today is though a typical winter day, gray, hazy. Spending a lifetime in the northern climate of Illinois, snow, ice, and frigid temperatures are the norm. I thought I would miss the winters, I do not miss them. Cold weather seems to go right to my bones anymore. 

I began working out at the fitness center last week. I take a water aerobics class to ease my arthritis. I also walk a mile on the indoor track, I also ride the bike, walk the treadmill. I am determined though to make an improvement  my weight and strength. Arthritis visits every night interrupting sleep.  Mornings it is difficult to get moving. I never focus on my pain or the arthritis, I do not to give into it. I never thought about how much it has detroit my joints, until starting exercising. In the water I lack balance and coordination.. On some excercises I have fallen face down in the water. I have never been a quitter in life, I realize that this will be a benefit long term.
Undoing years of little excercise is difficult. I always thought the physical work I did each day counted. Carrying excess weight, working long hours mostly on my feet, has destoryed my knees. My back is degeranting  and I account that for the two inches in height that are gone.
Pain is constant and at times intense. I have a high pain tolerance, maybe I am good at mentally at not accepting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment