Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Winter

Winter grips the nation, most of the northern states are buried under snow. Here in Arkansas we are in the grips of icy cold. I do not miss the winters of the Midwest. I know that the weather here will return to a more tolerable  temperatures soon.

Betty and I last Friday headed a little northeast to do some birding. It was a beautiful day.
The sky was endless blue, temperatures were a comfortable. It is great to bird in winter when the temperatures are 60+. I remember birding along Lake Michigan, chumming Gulls with bread. Wind whipping your face little needles stinging the exposed face. Your feet loosing their feeling. Enjoying watching  the comedy show as Gulls slide across the ice.
We went Friday to Beaverfork Lake. Like most  adventures to a new spot it is learning where and how to bird it. The heat shimmer across the the lake made spotting the birds.
We were on the west side and the birds seem to hugging  the east shore. The most dominant  bird were Double Crested Cormorants. I would estimate in excess of five hundred Cormants.  It was good to get out and bird. We also found a great antique store.

I am now one month into my challenge to become fit. I started the year at 241 lbs, today I weigh in at 238 lbs. I am going to water aerobics three times a week. I am also riding the bike. I am up to eleven  miles  and burning about 340 calories. The arthritis pain though has yet to budge. I am proud of my modest accomplishments. Slow steps to undue years of negelect.

1 comment:

  1. Bradley - Slow and steady, you'll get there!

    We were buried under between 14-16" of snow Tuesday night.

    ReplyDelete